June 13th 2019 (8 days)
Welcome to Sweden
Together with SwedGen we now offer this trip for the third time. SwedGen will teach you about genealogy and Saxentours will show you our part of Sweden.
Detailed information: Swedish Genalogy trip schedule 2019
Day 1. June 13, Thursday:
Welcome Dinner 18:00 Grand Hotell, Alingsås
Day 2. June 14, Friday:
Genealogy Classes – Hotel conference room
- How to use Estate inventories and Tax records to go on further backwards. Help to find records for your own family and also time for practice.
- How to start your Swedish research. Learn how to use Arkiv Digital and how to find the records for your own family.
- How to use Swedish-American church records. What they can be used for and how to find them.
- Work with your own research with our help.
Swedish “Smörgåsbord” in Nolhaga Castle is waiting for us in the evening. The chef will guide us through traditional Swedish cuisine tastings.
Day 3. June 15, Saturday:
Our first stop today is at Crea Diem Book Café for a nice “fika” (coffee) in the country side. Crea Diem peaceful garden is surrounded by old welcoming oaks, an old farm cottage and an art studio.
Next stop is Åsle Tå. This ancient agricultural settlement contains many of its original houses in their original location. It is now a museum revealing to 21st century guests the lives of this area’s earliest settlers. We are free to walk the streets and step into these homes to experience a way of life from centuries past.
In the afternoon, we’ll arrive in the 1000-year-old city of Skara, the heart of Västergötland. We will visit the Cathedral of Skara (Skara Domkyrka), known for its interesting history and eye-catching two steeples that can be seen from far away.
Dinner on your own in Alingsås.
Day 4. June 16, Sunday:
Boarding the bus in the morning we drive to Ornunga Old Church. Before the service we’ll have a guided tour of this beautiful sanctuary built in the 11th century and the museum area. At 10:00 service starts. Afterwards we get to enjoy the church’s coffee hour together with local church visitors.
Next stop today is Anten Museum Railway and Västgötabanan, a 12-kilometer journey through time – travel like your grandfathers did. To re-create the feeling of traveling in the past, the staff is also dressed in old-fashioned attire.
The train will take us to the beautiful Gräfsnäs Castle Park and the Castle Ruin situated by the Lake Anten. Lunch at the restaurant.
Back to Alingsås. Opportunity to individual research help.
Dinner on your own tonight.
Day 5. June 17, Monday:
Genealogy Classes – Hotel conference room
- The Swedish military system and how to find records about the soldiers
- Swedish online records. Try them yourself with our help.
- Swedish culture
- Swedish maps online. How to find them.
- Swedish CD’s and more online records (Charlotte)
- Genealogy help for those who want “one-on-one”
Free time for shopping or just exploring downtown Alingsås. Dinner on your own.
Day 6. June 18, Tuesday:
No studies today, we’re on the road! Ekehagen, a pre-historic village that takes us back to the Stone Age, Bronze Age and Iron Age. As visitors, we will step into another time and get to see how people lived centuries before us.
Next stop is Lidköping. Lidköping (founded in 1446) is a typical small town situated by Lake Vänern, the largest lake in Sweden. Here you can enjoy free time for shopping and exploring the town.
Before leaving the town, we’ll pay a visit to Rörstrands Museum. This is where Sweden’s finest china dinnerware was first made 280 years ago.
Dinner on our way back to Alingsås.
Day 7. June 19, Wednesday:
Today we’ll head to Sweden’s west coast and the seaport city of Göteborg (Gothenburg).
This port marked the point of embarkation for many Swedish emigrants sailing to America between 1850 to 1930. We will visit Emigranternas Hus (House of Emigrants) a migration center for research and meetings between people.
Next is a guided tour at Landsarkivet, (Swedish National Archive in Gothenburg).
Opportunity to individual research help – contact SwedGen
Dinner – Today it’s time to end our week together. Come together for Dinner at the Hotel to enjoy our last night together.
Day 8. June 20, Thursday:
We meet for a summary of our experiences of the week.
This marks the end of our trip, and we send you off with a hearty “Bon Voyage” as each of you leaves for home.
Note! We reserve the rights to make changes in the program.
How to register:
Total price: $ 2300
- Register for the trip by enter your data in the online form below.
- Pay deposit of $ 345 – follow the link to PayPal in the end of the form. (The remaining amount of $ 1955 will be billed to you, to be paid at the latest 31st of March 2019.)
Included in price: Accommodation (part in double room). Genealogy workshops by SwedGen. Transportation (bus) as in day schedule. Meals as in day schedule. Guide.
Not included in price: Transport to Sweden and Alingsås and back home.
Terms & Conditions:
Do you have questions?
- Questions for Travel arrangement? Crister and Maria at Saxentours: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Questions for Genealogy workshops: SwedGen: Anna-Lena Hultman email@example.com, Anneli Andersson firstname.lastname@example.org, Charlotte Börjesson email@example.com
- Reference in America: Jeff Huset (Minneapolis). Jeff went on our tour 2015 and 2018. firstname.lastname@example.org
Register for the trip here!